One day left 'til retirement
Here's another short-but-cool list: all the times the "one
day left 'til retirement" joke (or variants) has been used.
- Saturdays of Thunder
In the video store, Homer watches a McBain movie in which Scoie, his sidekick,
is retiring in a two days. However, someone tries to kill McBain, and Scoie
takes the bullets and dies.
- Homer and Apu
When Homer tries to "bite back" against Apu for selling him spoiled
meat, he wears an oversize novelty hat with a camera hidden inside to get some
incriminating footage of the Kwik-E-Mart. But Homer ends up smashing the hat,
believing there is a bee inside. Kent Brockman tells him that the hat had one
day left 'til retirement.
- The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons
- Outside the Springfield Civic Center, a man on a ladder puts up a marquee with
the events. Tonight's reads "Charity Bachelor Auction", Tomorrow's
reads "I retire, ya bastards!" He then falls off the ladder,
finishing his job a day early.
- Natural Born Kissers
- After Homer and Marge escape from the windmill on the miniature golf course,
Wiggum brings in the police dog to try to find them. It takes one sniff of
Homer's underwear and scarpers... Wiggum adds that he had one day left 'til
- Homer to the Max
- When all the trees fall down at the protest rally, one crushes Wiggum's police
car... again, it had one day left 'til retirement.
- Marge Simpson in "Screaming Yellow Honkers"
- After Marge crashes her SUV into the wall of Springfield prison, the prisoners
escape and Wiggum tells her they were one day away from being completely
- Homer vs. Dignity
- Chief Wiggum and his wife are talking to a financial planner. He says that he
will be shot three days before retirement - in the business, it's called